Image Map

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Workstation Revamp! {& Silly Sentences}

It's about that time of year again where my students {and I} feel *blah* about workstations. Although the kiddos are still excited to go to workstations (duh), their attention span is minimal and some of them seem to forget the rules. 

What to do? 
 - Introduce some new and exciting things into the workstations.
- Review rules of workstations.
- And if it's not working... change or omit it.

Enter here Silly Sentences!

I always like to introduce these into the pocket chart when my students are independently reading! The kids go *bananas* for this work station! 

I keep all of the parts of the sentences in one container. {Now let me be honest, this took a while to cut and laminate, since its such a big packet. However, you could pick and choose which words you would like to add to your Silly Sentence Work Station*

My directions are hanging beside the pocket chart and, I place the colored numbers at the top for students to use to make their sentence! This makes it SUPER easy to follow the directions! Which is what my bambinos need!


Below you can see some pictures of the constructed sentences using the color coded strategy! 

So simple, yet TONS of fun! It's a great opportunity not only to construct the sentences, but to read as well! My students create the sentence, read the sentence and then record the sentence! The best part about this is their are SO many possibilities for sentences! 

If you would like to check it out at my TpT store click here!

I also finished up my new writing station re-do. There is now a must do sheet which you can learn more about at First Grade Jungle. Ms. Thomas shared these fill in the blank pre-writes with me which I LUSH! The Littles have been having the HARDEST time staying focused and producing quality work from this station. It was time for a change! 


 Monthly words for writing via Busy Teacher Cafe

 Do you have the writer's eye? via Cara Carroll at The First Grade Parade

Now I have NO idea where those charts came from or the ones below! But whoever did them, THANKS I love them! If you know please let me know! They have been saved on my computer for a while (before pinterest)! 
*Update: these posters can be found here: 
http://mrsgilchristsclass.blogspot.com/2011/08/writing-center.html


Now I have more for my revamp of my ABC/ Word Study, Work Work, Word Wall Station…. check back for that tomorrow! But here is a sneak peak of one of my new Work Work Stations, found on pinterest! Hopefully this excited the littles! 

Pin It

21 comments:

  1. Love all of it!! My kids would love the Silly Sentences! Such a cute idea!!
    Jennifer
    First Grade Blue SKies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome workstation! You're right, it looks so simple to do. And everything in your classroom looks so colorful, I want to come visit!

    Sara :)
    Livs14@gmail.com

    Smiling In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute and organize. The silly sentences look like so much fun!

    Jodi
    Fun In First

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the writer's eye bulletin board! Thank you so much for sharing that resource!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did the writing charts - so weird to see this on Pinterest - LOL!!!
    http://mrsgilchristsclass.blogspot.com/2011/08/writing-center.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love this! what font do you use/how do you get the color outlines in your silly sentences?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the labels you made "idea helpers" & " I can write a". They look a lot cuter than the ones that are with the chart already. Did you make those or let me know where I can get them? Thanks! I love your writing center idea!

    ramblingaboutreading@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW...you are creative, talented, and highly organized- an A+ job!!!
    I love your ideas and will definitely use them! Your students are lucky to have you! BRAVO! Please check out my Blog if you haven't! I am always looking for more followers :>)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What did you paint the keys with on your keyboard? I would like to do this in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A GREAT TEACHER! I wish my son could have you next year! :) Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your ideas! So fun, I was wondering about the key board. How do you use that?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really love your wonderful creativity.. It gives me lots of motivation..


    write a book

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved your idea of the Silly Sentence Workstation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just found this silly sentences post on pinterest. It is amazing. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great idea! I love it. What age group did you use this with?

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a nice post, I am glad to see this.
    Do you want to see your website or blog on Google's first page ??? And want to beat your website or blog ranking ?? Your website and blog will be displayed on the first page of Google through the SEO service, completely and beautifully. Get more visitors and earn money.

    Click this for more details :""SEO services provider""

    ReplyDelete
  18. These workstations are very cool. Lynn Business Tutoring of Boca Raton . I will tell this to my students.

    ReplyDelete