Image Map

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Let's give them something to talk about...

Finally classroom pictures are here for your viewing pleasure! I told you I would be changing the theme of my room to a Rock Star Room! Luckily, Abby at The Inspired Apple had chosen the same theme! So I used her idea for the behavior chart, as well as some of her titles for areas in the room. I also, created an I-Pod similar to hers (mine will be used as a reminder of our morning procedures). I really am happy with the outcome of my room! It is WAY truer to my personality (because I personally think I am a Rock Star :) I cannot wait to see how to room looks after we have created our anchor charts and the classroom work begins to decorate the room. I do not like to put up posters already made because I believe that anchor charts created as a class are MUCH more meaningful to the students. 

Here is my little package that arrived from Reallygoodstuff.com! I was VERY happy to see everything!

My new listening station: 

Word Wall

Objectives and Agenda Board, along with our Morning Message. I use the morning message from Treasures (sometimes modified) usually to create their morning journal. Students copy the morning message, respond, and then draw a picture to represent their response. 

Main Stage- Reading Focus Wall/ Meeting Area

Classroom Library and Leveled Reading Library: The blue bins are my leveled readers from Lakeshore Learning, then the green bins are labeled by genres. I did not place all of my books out in the library so my students were not overwhelmed with choices! 

Poetry Station: I will add the writing materials, and a basket for their journals when we begin to introduce workstations later. 

Workstation rotation chart by Debbie Diller, sigh. I love this thing! And its double sided so I will use the back side for Math Workstations. 

Math Focus Wall/ Calendar Math

Pocket Chart Workstation: I will begin using the students names and pictures on sentence strips which the students will place in order. I still need to add 3M command books to hold the strips along with pointers, the recording sheets, and the I can list.  

New and fab read to self book bins! Makes me happy. The cups beside the bins are the sharpened/ un-sharpened pencil cups. 

Writing Workstation: This will obviously grow as soon as students begin going to workstations. I will add the students names, anchor charts of handwriting examples, and examples of great work! Also there will be papers for the students to use along with a variety of writing tools. 

This area is located beside my front door.  It includes the: 
How do I go Home Poster- I will write the students names in the appropriate spot (walker, van, care, bus)
I also added a board to post important notes! 
Also, notice my Scentsy cupcake! Adorable right?
The zebra file drawer will be used for homework and important notes. So far I have labeled the drawers with Monday through Friday. These are easily accessible to the kids as well so they can bring them to me in the afternoon, or grab a copy if they lost theirs! 

Celebrity of the Week board: I always start out as the celebrity of the week to model the type of behavior that a celebrity should have in order to receive their title!

My materials for small group, as well as other important teaching materials! 

Small Group table... and your glimpse into Ms. Thomas' room. Now we can slide open the door and see each other at our small group tables! 

Student work is displayed with these magnetic clips. This board is actually magnetic so it works out well! It is SO easy to change out the student work and keep it current with these clips. They were purchased from Lakeshore Learning. 
  

Now it is time for me to try to go to bed and get ready for my first day back with my firsties! I am definitely not a morning person. This may be hard. Wamp wamp.

Good luck if you are returning to school this week!


Pin It

57 comments:

  1. LoVe it!!! Great colors, everything is adorable! It totally ROCKS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing room! Wish mine were a tenth as together as yours! Keep it rockin'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I keep coming back to your blog, and wishing my classroom looks like yours! Did you create all of the bulletin board signs? I especially love the behavior chart! Any chance you are selling them? Just wondering...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um Hi... can I have your room? K thanks!! OMIGOODNESS!!! SO freaking cute! Love every inch. Where did you get your green polka dot seat and your calendar math chart?

    Leave me a message on my blog and let me know if you can! Thanks :)

    Megan

    internteachertales.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so great! It's so bright, cheery, and organized. Your kiddos will love having you as their teacher. Thanks for sharing these ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mrs. Bossy,
    I got the idea on the behavior chart from Abby, from The Inspired Apple! I just changed the sayings for each color to reflect our grading scale better! I will post them later tonight! Abby also has some signs available on her blog. The ones that she did not have I made myself, using the same font!
    -Ms. Simoneaux

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So organized! Out of curiosity, what font is used? I have a similar theme in my room and am interested in using the same "Bravo" title on my student work board. I would appreciate it!

      -Natalie

      Delete
  7. Thank you ALL for the sweet messages!

    Miss Megan,
    Thanks so much for the compliment. I got the chair from my Dad's funiture store (he sells them there). Also, the Calendar Math chart is available at Lakeshore Learning! Our principal purchase them for our grade level last year!
    -Ms. Simoneaux

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your classroom looks amazing! So glad to have found your blog! ;)

    Hope King
    www.shenanigansinsecond.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dang girl! Your room looks AH-mazing!! Love, love, LOVE all the bright colors and all your fun storage!! Looks great!! Your kids are gonna LOVE it!!! Good luck to you this year!!!

    Cara :)
    The First Grade Parade

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Cara! I'm not sure if you saw my previous post where I credited you for my room's inspiration! I said...

    "Last year I looked at a lot of blogs for inspiration of how I would like my room to be set up. I have never used a theme so I really wanted to pick something that would appeal to MY personality! I found Cara's pictures and I loved them. If you know me you know I am a fan of neon, sparkle, hollywood, fashion, etc. Her room screamed rockstar glamour! And here we are today... my new room will be a mix of hollywood/ rockstar, neon colors, and sparkle!"

    So thank you for the rockstar GLAMOUR inspiration! You're adorable!
    -Ms. Simoneaux

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your room!! It is so organized and inviting :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! I love it! It is all so colorful and I love the little zebra accents. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am loving your room! :) You've done a great job!

    Fabulous Firsties!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the room!!! Do you sell/ share the how do I get home posters? and the writing startion stuff! I love it!

    Saraksandel@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your room is super cute. You ARE a rock star!
    Andi

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your room is absolutely adorable!! Thanks for sharing pics!! I am having my first giveaway if you want to check it out!

    Miss J @ smilescrayonsandendlessstories

    ReplyDelete
  17. Also, where you did you get your magnetic morning meeting and date sign?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your classroom looks great! Good luck on your school year! I became a follower, and I am new to the blogging world. I would love it if you checked out my blog and became a follower.

    http://krazyfunteaching.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Everything is so cute! I love the listening station ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOVE! Can you tell me what the signs say in your poetry station? Even with my screen zoomed in I cannot read them! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have been looking for a place to put my listening center. What a great way to use that space! I so will be copying that. I know my kiddos will love sitting on the stools, too. Glad I found the picture on Pintrest. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. lovely room! serves as an inspiration. thanks for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. very adorable. LOVE the leopard rug!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. your classroom is adorable! I teach middle but I'm going to use your ideas for next school year....so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  25. For your BRAVO good work board, you said that those clips were magnetic (from Lakeshore)..... Is that just a whiteboard with fabric hot glued to it? If so, how has that worked for you? I would really like to do that if it works. THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME!
    P.S.....I made the exact same guitar for my class! SO CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I was enjoying a buzz around blog-land and was pleasantly surprised to see your name. I, too, am a Simoneaux. There aren't many Simoneauxs floating around outside of Louisiana. Glad to find your blog even though I teach middle school (many ideas are applicable to us, tho.)!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Where did you find the zebra print file drawer? I am doing zebra in my class this year and love your ideas

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love your room! I have been searching for the font for your Rockin' Behavior for DAYS now....would you mind sharing what font that is? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great job...makes me wish I was in 1st grade again!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your classroom looks stellar! :) That must have taken a lllllong time to organize and plan. My goal for next year is to get cuter with my organization- and this is great inspiration. Thanks so much :)
    AlwaysALesson

    ReplyDelete
  31. LOVE LOVE LOVE your room. Where did you get the word wall circles? I can't find any!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. ADORE everything about your room. Where did you get your book boxes from? Thank you!

    ~ Kara

    www.pencilsanddreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love, love, love your room! That listening center is SO cozy looking! :)

    Sugar and Spice

    ReplyDelete
  34. this is amazing!!!!! i hope i can use some of these!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Many people have been pinning a rainbow behavior system on Pinterest. They have many different ways for rewarding students, but what do you do with the student's who have "clipped down" to receiving consequences? If it is time for something fun do you take that away from those kids? If they have "clipped down" and have improved do you you still let that parent know? If some one "clipped down" and improved, but it is time for recess or something fun do you still take it away? Just wondering what others have done! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Ms. Simoneaux,
    Where did you get your chair pockets?? I have been looking for AFFORDABLE ones for my kiddos, however I need them to be durable and maybe even washable.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Can you please explain your mini pocket charts in your gathering area. The Spicy words?

    ReplyDelete
  39. Your room rocks!! Congrats Rock Star!!! (I'm your newest follower; please visit my Blog anytime)

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'm a first year teacher and learned about this via pinterest. Thank you so much, I needed some guidance and this is perfect, very inspirational. Beautiful classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi - I love your "How Do I Get Home" set up, do you sell that, or did you purchase it? BrannanKJ@Gmail.com Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  42. It looks so great! Love your theme! Come and check my classroom reveal out too!
    Fancy Free in Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  43. I am from Australia and I just wanted to comment and say that I LOVE what you have done with your classroom. I am in the process of setting up my new Kindergarten room for the start of the year and you have totally inspired me.
    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  44. where did you find that precious rug?! i LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  45. WoW! Love it. That was very nice. I agree the rug was one of the eye caching. andkon

    ReplyDelete
  46. Where did you find that zebra file draw?

    ReplyDelete
  47. I love your classroom and I teach high school Spanish. Where did you buy all your supplies? Did you buy them with school money or on your own?

    ReplyDelete
  48. Love your room. At your listening center you have some hooks on your wall. ARe they 3m sticky hooks? Do they stay up ok, on the paper, rather than the wall?

    ReplyDelete
  49. I found your blog through a pin from this post. Your room was super cute. Do you use the same theme each year? It would be hard to give up this cuteness!
    Linda
    PS I'm your newest follower.
    KinderDoodles

    ReplyDelete
  50. Hi! My third grade classroom has a rock star theme too. What font did you use for the BRAVO board?? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Love the way your room turned out! Looks amazing and so much fun for the kids. :)

    -Gayla
    Teach On.

    ReplyDelete
  52. At your listening center you have some hooks on your wall. ARe they 3m sticky hooks? Do they stay up OK Inclusion Instruction , on the paper, rather than the wall?

    ReplyDelete
  53. RE: Main Stage/Reading Focus Wall and Reading Area
    What is the board in your reading focus area. Is that just a bulletin board resting on the floor or is it the back of furniture that you covered with paper? Many thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Nice! It was organized properly. I noticed that you use hooks. I suggest for the Classroom Hooks you can use use with no protruding hooks, making it one of the safest hook systems on the market like Strong UV Resistant Design

    ReplyDelete