Image Map

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

New Work Station, Winner, and Class Updates!

Congratulations Liz! You are the Winner of "Dot Cards for Math Workstation" Packet! I will be emailing you shortly with the goods! Sorry I did not get to announce the winner earlier, I was busy cheering on my Tigers for a victory against Oregon! 
I also have a new Math Workstation to introduce you to! This week we are learning how to make numbers from five to ten. Therefore, looking to Debbie for inspriation I found a workstation that would help my littles understand this concept! 
 This workstation deals with the beginning process of introducing addition to your students. Students will  use the Dot Cards to create the numbers five through ten. Therefore, if a student is making the number five they would put one color of one Tens train on one side, and another color on the other side of the same card. They would then use the Math Talk Bubble to state, "Four and One is the same amount as Five". See the pictures below to check out my kids working on this workstation today. (We started with just making five today)






Included in the Packet:
-45 Dot Cards that make the numbers five through ten
-3 Math Talk Bubbles
-Recording Sheet
-Instructions and Pictures of how to implement this workstation!

If you would like to check out this Math Work Station click here!

In other news, like I mentioned before this weekend I went to the LSU vs. Oregon game. So I was *forced* to leave my littles with a substitute. Luckily, she was their teacher from last year who is retired, so I trusted her fully! The day before I left I did the "Miss Nelson is Missing" activity I saw on another blog! (which I cannot remember whose blog, so please let me know if it is you) Not only did the story scare my students into good behavior out of fear of Miss Swamp coming to school, but their Miss Swamp pictures came out adorable! Afterwards, I had the students write "I can show Rock Star behavior by..." I chose Rock Star in our writing since I call my outstanding students Rock Stars and we have the Rock Star Rules! 



Here is some pictures of my trip to Dallas! Have I told you yet that I love football season! 



More exciting news.... my planner came in. Dear Lord I was beyond thrilled to see it at the door! And she is perfect. Just look at her with her hot pink stripe. Makes me so happy. I did somehow convince Ms. Thomas she needed one as well... but she swiped that credit card all on her own! 

Lastly, here is one of the anchor charts I created about being a good writer. When Ms. Thomas and I went to the Debbie Diller Workshop this summer one suggestion she told us was to tell our young writers is to write about what you KNOW about and what you CARE about. Great advice.  
Hope you are having a great short week!
Pin It

7 comments:

  1. SO exciting!!! I never win anything :) Can't wait to get the Dot cards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog! You have received the Versatile Blogger Award. Go to my post: http://saylorslog.blogspot.com/2011/09/wow-versatile-blogger-me.html
    to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHA very true I did swipe it myself....but there was some influence!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Kim for the Versatile Blogger Award! That is so sweet of you! I am now a new follower of your blog. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So Adorable!! Where did you get your leopard print area rug? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Love all the ideas and pictures...the little Miss Nelson is Missing Idea is mine but they look adorable! :) Julie

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete