Image Map

Monday, February 14, 2011

Treasures: Stormy Weather Theme

So, I'm not sure who else out there teachers Treasures... but yawn! I could give a list of things I dislike about this Reading Series. However, I cannot change the fact that this is what we use for our series... so my teacher bestie, Ffion (or Ms. Thomas), and I try our best to make it more engaging for our students. We have found the stories usually to be typically blah in the students books, so we have opted for trade books to cover the skills of the week instead. 

This week our skill is Compare and Contrast, which I discussed with my students today. I will post a picture of the anchor chart I created to use with my students as a reference for this skill.  Ffi and I decided we would use the stories "It Rained Hearts" and "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" to implement this skill!

Since it was Valentines today I decided to read the story "It Rain Hearts" with my students first. We then completed a Readers Response "I wish it would rain...."

* I will post more pictures of my students responses! So funny! One student wanted it to rain "Diamond Chains", only in the Park. 
(He only wanted $25.00... modest lil thing! So sweet!)


Tomorrow I will read the story "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" and as a whole class we will complete the compare and contrast graph made by Ms. Thomas.  

Afterwards, the students will complete the Reader Response "Would you rather it rain hearts or  meatballs?" inspired by the adorable Babbling Abby (who had this whole lil' cute Vday activity... which I want to do next year. I mean I am a girl who is now on a school budget, so I have to pick and choose from her Tpt! Boo.)

Today we also create a chart with our schema about the weather and what we are have learned. It was funny to see my students thoughts on the weather, wow the misconceptions about snow! Duh, I guess Louisiana doesn't teach us too much. 
*I forgot to take pictures, so I will re-post in the morning when I return to school.

Coming up this week: Weather Cycle and Weather Poems courtesy of The First Grade Parade. 
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. For some reason your Google Docs are not loading. If you wouldn't mind emailing them to me or maybe reposting?

    We also have Treasures so seeing some new ideas is fantastic! Thank you for sharing!
    lmoldenhauer@riverview.k12.wi.us
    http://littlepriorities.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete